2 cups wholemeal SR Flour
¼ cup bran
¼ cup artificial sweetener powder
1 tbsp baking powder
¾ cup apple puree (I use apples I have
cooked myself and pureed, or jars from the
baby food section - these are unsweetened)
1 ½ cups skim milk
2 egg whites
3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped roughly
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
Banana & Date
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 ½ cups chopped dates
Chef: Arianne Spratt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line muffins pans with liners, cutting out the need to grease the pans.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl (this includes spices for the apple muffins and dates for the banana ones)
3. In another bowl, mix together apple puree, milk and egg whites (mashed bananas if making banana & date)
4. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. (Add chopped apples at this point.)
5. Spoon into muffin pans and cook for 15-18 minutes. Do not overcook.
Because these muffins have no fat in them, they can dry out quickly and do not keep as well as normal muffins. You must be careful therefore not to overcook them and freeze any leftovers quickly. They are good for lunches because you can take them frozen and they will thaw out by lunchtime and have lost no moisture.
* This information was sourced from '9am with David and Kim'