2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
3 rindless bacon rashers, diced
2 ½ cup finely shredded cabbage
1 large potato, diced
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 cans cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup pasta
2½ litres chicken stock (cubes are fine)
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese optional
Chef: Arianne Spratt
1. Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté onion, celery, carrot and bacon for about 5 minutes until tender.
2. Add potato, tomato, and cabbage. Stir well and cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Add cannelleni beans, pasta, seasonings, tomato paste and stock. Mix ingredients through and simmer for about 20 minutes until the pasta is tender, adding more stock if extra liquid is needed.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan if using.
5. Serve with a slice of crusty bread
Extra: If you want something to jazz this soup up, but still want to keep it under the $10 limit, you could make up a Salsa Verde using herbs you have growing in the garden.
Recipe courtesy of secondbite: http://www.secondbite.org/
* This information was sourced from '9am with David and Kim'