How to Be More Active Every Day
Date: Wednesday, 25 January 2012
Walking is one of the best ways to boost your step count.
A 30 minute brisk walk is likely to clock up around 3750 steps. Other ways to increase your activity level include:
• Always take the stairs – you can even climb up and down them during a 10 minute workout.
• Parking at the back of the parking lot instead of looking for a spot near the door.
• Walking short distances e.g. to the newsagent or post office.
• Pacing while talking on the phone.
• Walking up and down the hallway during commercial breaks.
• Putting the washing basket five paces away from the clothesline and walking back and forth to hang each item.
• Using the bathroom on a different floor and taking the stairs to get there.
• Setting a weekly goal to increase your activity by 1000 steps a day until you reach 10,000-12,500 (or more!) steps a day.